Our Artsy Auction Specialists break down everything you need to know before, during, and after bidding in an auction on Artsy. Remember, there are no additional costs or fees for bidding through Artsy.
You can bid via desktop or on your phone at any time, anywhere by downloading the Artsy App (Please read “How to Download Artsy's Mobile App”).
Auction types on Artsy
A live auction is a sale that takes place in a real-time saleroom. There is first a pre-sale “preview” period where you can browse the works and place advanced bids. Then, there is the live portion where an auctioneer facilitates the sale of each lot sequentially. Lots are usually open for about one minute, but timing can vary based on interest. You can participate in the action via our live Artsy Digital Salerooms, which allow you to bid against individuals in the room, on the phone, or on other online platforms.
Online-only auctions are held exclusively on Artsy. The lots in the sale will open for bidding at the same time, in which bids can be placed on Artsy only. All lots will then close at a set time.
- For more information please read “The Complete Guide to Bidding in an Online-Only Auction”
What to know before you bid
Artsy Auctions Specialists suggest you complete due diligence and get in touch with our team as soon as a particular sale or lot piques your interest.
Auction bids are binding, so it is essential to understand the total cost of a potential auction purchase before placing your bid(s). You may see notices of additional fees on lot pages - please make sure you understand any applicable fees before placing your bid(s) as fees can differ based on location of seller and collector.
On any lot page, simply click “Ask a Specialist” to direct message the team, or email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org at any time.
Important items to consider inquiring about before the sale begins:
- “What is a condition report and how do I request one?”
- “What is a buyer’s premium?”
- “How does shipping work?”
- “How does Flat Rate Shipping work?”
- “Are taxes included in my bid?”
- “What export or import taxes might apply to my purchase?”
- “What are Artist’s Resale Right fees?”
How to Register, Place Your Bid, and Win
You are required to register before you can bid in any auction on Artsy. This ensures we have the information we need to provide a smooth bidding and post-sale process.
- Please read “How do I register to bid in an Artsy auction?”
- For certain auctions, you might be required to go through Identity Verification before or after bidding. If needed, please read “How to Complete Identity Verification” and “Identity Verification FAQs”
Once you have registered and done your due diligence on your lot of interest, please place your bids and follow your bidding status through auction close.
- You can review how bidding works on Artsy by reading “How do I place a bid in an auction?”
- If you are bidding in an Online-Only Auction, please read “The Complete Guide to Bidding in an Online-Only Auction”
- If you are bidding in a Live auction, it’s especially important that you join our live saleroom. You can learn all about live bidding by reading “The Complete Guide to Bidding in a Live Auction”
What to expect after an auction
Directly after an auction ends, you’ll receive an email from Artsy confirming the outcome of your bids.
If you win, you will receive another email (either from Artsy’s Post-Sale team or from our auction partner) with instructions for payment, shipment, and other next steps in the near future.
Note: Some auctions are subject to automatic payment upon auction close through Express Check Out. For more information, please read “What is Express Check Out?”
If you haven’t received a follow up within five days of the close of the auction, please email email@example.com so our team may assist.
Please remember that all bids and purchases are subject to Artsy’s Conditions of Sale.