Online-only (timed) auctions are held exclusively on Artsy. The lots in the sale will open for bidding at the same time, after which bids can be placed via our bidding platform. All lots will then close at individually set times.
For bidding in online-only auctions, you have two bidding strategies, incremental or maximum bids:
- Incremental Bids: When you find a lot you are interested in, one option is to set your bid at the next available bidding increment. If someone outbids you (you will receive an email), you can return to the auction on Artsy to place a higher bid to stay in the lead.
- Maximum Bids: The recommended option is to place a maximum bid anytime before the sale ends, which means you place the absolute maximum bid price you would be willing to pay for the lot. As the sale progresses, if/when other collectors also bid on your lot of interest, our system will bid on your behalf for the lowest competitive price up to, but not exceeding, your defined maximum bid amount, and your maximum bid will be prioritized ahead of other bidders joining in. You can continue to raise your maximum bid any time before the sale closes.
Tip: Submit the absolute highest value you wish to bid as your maximum with ample time left in the auction, rather than placing many individual or “Incremental” Bids. This tactic will let the system do the bidding work for you and gives you the best chance of winning a lot without a last minute frenzy to submit final incremental bids.
If you are immediately outbid after you submit a bid, it is because another user has already placed a maximum bid at or higher than your bid amount. For more information, please read “Why am I being outbid immediately?”
Tips on how best to bid in an online-only auction:
- Read, "What is cascade and popcorn bidding and how does it work?"
- Not at a desktop computer or laptop during the auction close time? Download the Artsy app to continue bidding while on-the-go. For more information, please read “How to Download Artsy's Mobile App”
- You can track your bids via the MyBids section of the Artsy App. Learn more here: “How can I keep track of auctions I’m bidding in? Will you send me emails or alerts?”
- Save works you’re interested in by clicking “Watch lot” on the lot page.
- Turn on your notifications in the Artsy App and in your phone settings. For more information, please read “How do I manage notifications from the Artsy app?” and “What notifications will I receive when bidding in an auction?”
- Add the online-only auction close time to your calendar. Bidding is typically most active during the last 10 minutes of the sale so, if you are available, it’s ideal to be monitoring the auction at this time. For more information, please read “Add Artsy Auctions to Your Calendar”
- If you have any questions about live auctions or live bidding strategies, please feel free to reach out to our team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please sign in to leave a comment.