Artsy has partnered with Escrow.com to provide a secure option for collectors and galleries to transact safely outside of Artsy’s platform. By holding funds until the artwork has been exchanged and inspected, Escrow.com shields buyers from the risk of paying for goods not received and protects sellers from the risk of charge-backs.
For users purchasing through inquiries on Artsy, we recommend this method of transacting to help protect you from gallery impersonation outside of Artsy.
Note: Payment through Escrow.com is completely optional; however, it is highly recommended as a safer way to send and receive payment. Artsy does not take commission or fees from the buyer or seller for Escrow.com payments; however Escrow.com fees may apply.
How Escrow.com works
When a seller responds to your inquiry, you will be given the option to initiate a purchase by clicking a link through to Escrow.com. This will start the process:
- Create an Escrow.com account. Click here to create an account with Escrow.com.
- Ask the gallery if they accept payment through Escrow.com. Once you and the gallery agree on the payment method, ask for the gallery’s email address, or the email address associated with their existing Escrow.com account. If the gallery does not already have an Escrow.com account, they will need to create one.
- You and the gallery agree to terms. Either you or the gallery may start a transaction. Both parties must create or log in to an Escrow.com account and agree to the terms of the transaction.
- You pay Escrow.com. Submit payment and then Escrow.com will verify it. The gallery will then be notified that the funds have been secured “In Escrow.”
- The gallery ships the artwork. Once the payment is verified, you’ll be authorized to send the artwork and submit tracking information. Escrow.com will then verify that the collector has received the artwork.
- You accept the artwork. After receiving the artwork, you will have a set number of days to inspect the artwork and to accept or reject it.
- Escrow.com pays the gallery. Once the artwork is accepted by you, Escrow.com will release the funds to the gallery.
Learn more about transacting safely through Artsy and how Artsy protects collectors.
You can read more about Escrow directly on the Escrow Help Center.