This article will walk you through what Artsy Specialists and partners look for in consignment submissions.
Note: To learn about how to submit a work to Sell with Artsy, visit our Help Center article How do I submit a work to sell?
Our Sell with Artsy program is designed to help Artsy users sell works at auction. To bring you the best results, our Specialists only approve consignment submissions that meet the following criteria:
- The artist has a strong auction market. Auction results are strongest when there is already interest in an artist and competition between multiple bidders. If an artist hasn’t yet had works sold at auction or their artworks haven’t performed well, it’s likely that your work would bring a very low price or not receive a winning bid. We want to give your works the best chance to sell.
- The artist has established Artsy demand, meaning that users have previously expressed interest or purchased similar works.
- We have necessary documentation, like a Certificate of Authenticity, original invoice, or established ownership history. Such documentation ensures all works on Artsy are accurately described and gives bidders confidence to bid on your work. The exact needs will vary depending on the artist.
- The artwork has a minimum auction estimate of $2,000. We have the strongest demand above this price point.
- The work has documented, reliable provenance. Buyers will be more likely to purchase a work that has a record of ownership to support its authenticity.
Based on the collector demand on our Artsy’s marketplace, we are only able to accommodate works by artists with established demand and a resale market consistent with our partners’ current interests. As such, we do not accept submissions from artists selling their own work. If you are an artist wishing to sell your work, you can learn about available resources to you in our help center article I'm an artist. What can Artsy do for me?
If you spot a work on Artsy that resembles your submission and it was rejected, please note such artworks may be listed by galleries with an Artsy subscription who list their inventory on our website. Our gallery partners often have their own specialized markets and operate outside of our consignment network.
Once you submit a work, our Specialists will approve or reject it based on the information provided. If we need additional information to make a decision, we’ll reach out to you directly.